November 2, 2009

Remembering Larry Flesicher

Today is my birthday. It's also the day that Larry Flesicher has passed away. I don't know if he passed away on my birthday but I've made note that every year on my birthday, I'll have a minute of silent prayer in honor of him.

Altho I don't know him very well, he's a man who moves on his life thru mountains that were so high and rivers that were so low and continue to expand the program he loved---Education for the Deaf children and utliizing American Sign Language in the classrooms. My hats off to him for all of those works he did, all of the accomplishments he did and all of the leadership he could give to the community. California State University of Northridge, Gallaudet University and California Association of the Deaf also countless other organizations won't be the same without him. You rock, Larry!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mashie,

    I had to leave comments which is not often and only when I am moved to do so. Your wording struck me so much. Wondering if any similiar phrase anywhere inspired you to write this phrase. I loved it so much.

    "man who moves on his life thru mountains that were so high and rivers that were so low and continue to expand the program(s) he loved"

    I met Larry since he first came to CSUN around 1972 during my high school days. As I got to know him and respect his work, it was hard to find good description of him - something that reflects his glory and his quirks.

    Wonderful, Mashie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the honor of studying under Dr. Fleischer and he was completely submerged in the Deaf community on and off campus. His unexpected passing is being mourned by many, but his memory is being celebrated and will carry on through every life he touched. It was a sad, sad day on CSUN's campus yesterday.

    ReplyDelete