September 29, 2008

11:27 AM - The 65 mph law


Current mood: rebellious

I was driving down the hill on 23 north to Fillmore off 101 East in Ventura County at approx 70 mph. And along the way a lot of cars were pulled aside by highway patrol cops and Ventura County cops. I don't want to jinx my driving record in which I have gotten two expensive speeding tickets two years ago. One was driving 85 mph downhill in Palmdale (14 fwy: I was cruising downhill without pressing the gas pedal) and 78 mph on 118 east due to fatigue by working 7 consecutive days, 90 working hours and only had 28 sleeping hours out of "the usual" 56 sleeping hours per week.

Both of these tickets took 300 dollars out of my pocket and was warned of two tickets stint within 18 months.

So, today, I decided to cruise at exact 65 mph by turning on the cruiser on the fast lane (remmy, 65 mph maximum, not minimum) and oh my goodness; I have had never experienced a lot of angry people surrounding me while driving.

And I couldn't stop laughing at some people who had to change the lane, pulled out their bird fingers at me. Some of them gave me dirty looks. I responded to all of them with a sign language, I love you. And they sped angrily as if I have distrubed their paths of life. There was one dark grey honda that gave me the bird finger. Guess where it ended up 8 miles down the road. On the right side with police cruiser behind it.

and I really felt good driving at 65 mph because I felt no pressure by other drivers who tailgated me and hope that I'd sped for them. I think I'm going to continue and cruise at 65 mph with a big smile on my face!

Currently reading :
Accidents before and after the 65 mph speed limit in California
By A Khorashadi

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous06:14

    I had the same thing happen on a road trip, I was going 80 in a 70, and this corvette passed me easily going 90... 5 miles down the road, it was pulled over with a lovely cop behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous09:21

    It's liberating, isn't it? I had to do the same when both of us got three tickets in one year...so we both decided to drive AT the speed limit - and we were astounded by the attitude change we experienced. We weren't stressed anymore, left earlier to make up for the slower drive, and enjoyed the pace more. We're down to one ticket (from six together) - but haven't gone back to our speeding ways. Welcome to the club! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in my twenties I also sped habitually...always in a hurry to get someplace! Yep, at least a couple of speeding tickets!
    Due to now being older and more experienced about time and priorities, I drive close to the speed limit and find that I still get there on time.

    These days, speeding is also known as a gas waster and the advice goes that 35 to 45 mph range is best for making a tankful last longer. Heck, why fight it? Take a breath and enjoy the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous09:47

    FYI: My brother-in-law who is a state trooper told me that he suggested that any driver can drive up to 9 MPH above the speed limit without any police stopping you for that high speeding. For example: the speed limit is 65 MPH so you can drive up to 74 MPH without getting a ticket. At least 75 MPH would get a ticket at your own risk. So pay attention with the speed limits like from 65 MPH to 55 MPH while driving then you need to decrease by 10 MPH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? 9 mph above the speed limit altho the sign and DMV book said 65 is the maximum speed limit. Mmmm. But it sounds true as I haven't experienced getting tickets at between 70 to 75 mph.

    ReplyDelete